Sunday, February 21, 2010

Movie Trailer: Dear John

Last week, I used this movie as an example when discussing constructed media. To remind people of my thoughts:

I believe that there is a difference between being impacted by media, and ability to understand media. I used this movie as an example because this couple falls in love after two weeks. We have seen this story everywhere (Romeo and Juliet, for example).

Like countless swooning young women, I can BE IMPACTED by this media..
I laugh, cry, want that love, etc etc etc.

Luckily for me, I can make the distinction (at least sometimes) because I UNDERSTAND the media. I know that it's not reality, it's a constructed story.

How many of our youth are able to make such a distinction? What filters and decision-making skills are we cultivating in youth today?

The "embed" feature was not available. Follow the below link and enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3nA9AG1AWk

No comments:

Post a Comment